Notary Public

If you have a document for use abroad that needs an international Notary Public, you are in the right place - please read on.

If you have a document that is only required for use in Ireland (or in some cases the UK) - that needs an Irish Commissioner for Oaths, please click here.


EU harmonization rules now incorporate certain notarial processes in anti-terrorist asset management and money laundering regulations. What this means is that any one asking for his or her signature to be witnessed and identity certified by a notary public must produce any two of three types of document - a valid passport; a valid Irish driver's licence; a recent utility bill showing the person's name and current Irish address. These new requlations will mainly affect private buyers of overseas property or those opening bank accounts abroad for similar purposes. If you have a Power of Attorney connected with foreign property, please email the document to us at general@bporco.ie  and we will immediately send you back details of the necessary procedures set out in a simple readable format.  


 Most domestic commercial transactions are conducted with documents - legal contracts, government papers, official certificates and so on. Business life could not survive without them. But official documents issued locally usually stand on their own - that is do not need to be proved. A document issued by one authority (say a government department) is accepted as official by another (say a County Council) -without the need to formally prove that it is genuine.

With International business affairs, this is not so. When dealing with foreign government departments or official bodies, all documents that are not issued by that government must carry formal proof of their authenticity. This is usually in the form of a Notary's Certificate.

There are Notaries Public or their equivalent appointed in every country in the world and their certification is universally accepted by most foreign and state bodies to prove the validity of papers being sent to them from outside their country.

If you have a foreign court affidavit or other document that needs to be sworn or certified it can be completed by us.

If you have an Irish document that needs to be sworn or authenticated for a foreign governmental body it can be completed by us.

If there is an dishonoured international Bill of Exchange that needs noting and protesting it can be completed by us.

If you have papers for a foreign adoption they can be completed by us.

If sworn evidence has to be taken in Ireland for a foreign court, it can be taken by us.


An affidavit is a sworn statement used for court. A declaration is similar but is usually used for some other official purpose. In Ireland (for domestic use only) these are usually witnessed by a commissioner for oaths or a practising solicitor. With foreign affidavits and declarations they normally must be taken before a Notary Public.

When asking us to take your oath on these documents, please bring the document itself, any supplementary papers referred to in the text (that is exhibits), and if you want us to draft the affidavit - please bring a statement of relevant facts. Normally the foreign authority require identification to us to be provided by passport - so please bring this with you.


If you are buying, selling and/or mortgaging overseas property you will likely be asked by your foreign lawyers to sign and have notarised certain documents. Invariably these documents will be sent to you with a request that the “be notarised” and (with the exception of documentation for the U.S.A.), they will have no printed signing clauses with no indications as to how they should be notarised. In these circumstances we need to see the documents before we arrange to meet with you as this will save you a great deal of  time when we do meet. You can fax us on (01) 4525436 or send them to us by email to bporeilly@bporco.ie


We are frequently asked to certify the authenticity of company papers for export consignments.  Some countries require verification that certain materials or food products are free from banned substances - e.g. radioactive material or (for the middle east) pork meat extracts.

If you want us to prepare a certificate to verify documents, please check with your foreign agent about the required government form - each country has its own regulations. Normally what happens is that your agent will prepare a draft certificate and this will be completed on your company’s headed notepaper with relevant documents attached. Sometimes it is better to complete the process by affidavit.


A Bill of Exchange is an unconditional order for payment drawn on another person or company and usually payable at a bank maturing at a future date. With a foreign bill if acceptance is refused or on maturity it is dishonoured the person entitled to payment or the bank must have the bill noted by a Notary Public for non acceptance and/or non payment. If it is not so noted (this must be done generally within 24 hours of dishonour) the person entitled to payment may not be able to sue in court on foot of the bill. It is also normal to ask that a formal Deed of Protest be prepared. Where an Irish bank is acting as collection agent for a foreign bank, it is important for all concerned to follow the exact instructions of the foreign bank.

When we are asked to note and/or protest a Bill, we will call to the bank or other place of payment and receive the official reason for dishonour. We will note the Bill, prepare a Protest under seal and return the papers to the person requiring this done. We ask banks requiring this service to have the exact reason to hand when we call (insufficient funds,  payment stopped etc.).


Have the agents asked you to have the Document authenticated at the Department of Foreign Affairs with Apostille under the Hague Convention 1961? This is a process of international verification for the Document and, if needed, after notarisation you may call to the Department at Hainault House St.Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2, (scroll to end of page for map)10am to 12:30pm and 2:15pm to 4pm and have the process completed over the counter (no appointment necessary). The Department’s fee is €40.00 per document. You do not have to attend the Department's offices yourself - you can send someone in and an appointment is not required.


For child adoptions in foreign jurisdictions there are usually a large number of documents to be certified. This done by us by notarising under seal. We also recommend that a full set of  notarised certified copies are made for safety.


For further information, please call Brian O’Reilly (01) 4525211




Location of Department of Foreign Affairs Apostille and Authentication section at Hainault House St.Stephen’s Green, Dublin 2, (near the corner of St.Stephen's Green and Earlsfort Terrace). PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE TO ENLARGE

Recent additions

Newstalk latest


HEAD OFFICE: B.P O'Reilly & Co. Solicitors, Coric House, Main St, Tallaght, Dublin 24, Republic of Ireland.

Telephone: (01) 4525211      Fax: (01) 4525436

[International (+353-1) 4525211 Fax: (+353-1) 4525436]         

 E-mail: general@bporco.ie

© B.P.O'Reilly & Company Solicitors 2002-2008.

The information contained in this website is of a general nature and should not be relied on in every circumstance
involving what is written and/or said involving the services of B.P.O'Reilly & Company. Consequently, no responsibility will be taken by the site promoters as to the accuracy of its contents. If you have a specific query please contact B.P.O'Reilly & Company.